Monday, October 3, 2011

Assignment 5

1. According to the slides how do we define power, prestige, and privileges and give an example of each. Power, prestige and privileges are all closely related. In today's society if you are wealthy you have power; power to make someone else do something. Since most people strive for that wealth and power, those who do have it are well respected. This is known as prestige. Power and prestige combined earn an individual some special advantages that few others come across.
2. Also, what three variables do Sociologists use to define social class. How would you define your social class and why? Three variables that are used to define social class are income, occupation and education. I would define my social class as middle class. This is because my family and I have incomes that allow us to live comfortably. Both of my parents graduated college and hold occupations that require skill. My siblings and I are all planning to follow in those same footsteps.

These hierarchies in the U.S. are often based on race/ethnicity, education, income, and gender.

3.Think about how your race/ethnicity or gender or age has blocked your from an opportunity or given you an advantage. Please identify your age, or gender of race/ethnicity and then tell me your story. Recently I have felt that my gender had blocked me from a job opportunity. I was walking in the mall one day when I saw a help wanted sign in the GNC window. I have worked in retail before and since I needed the cash I decided to apply. Thinking about it now I have never seen a woman working in a GNC. I was more than qualified and had experience but never received a call back from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment