Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Assignment 3

I was the first generation to be born in America on both sides of my family. My mother, as well as her parents, were born in Germany. My father was born in Australia after his parents moved there from Poland. Although i do not think about my race and ethnicity too much, it is something that is important to me. i believe that the cultrual values and traditions that come from my backround help keep my family together. I would also like to pass on those traditions to my family one day.

While watching the video, what struck me the most was that the majority of the kids (despite their own race) picked the white doll to play with over the black doll. From an early age children are influenced by peers, at school, and by the media. I believe that their choice to play with the white doll over the black doll was not because they personally thought it was "nicer" but because the larger social factors influence them to believe that whiteness and lightness are associated with moral purity.

1 comment:

  1. You have answered all the questions, but I would just like to see you elaborate a little more.

    ReplyDelete